John Strang, University of Kentucky Extension Fruit Specialist provides a very thorough lesson on how to prune thorny and thornless blackberries. John provides some teminology and tips within his video that I have bulleted for you below.
- Primocane is a first year growth and does not fruit (unless it is a primocane fruiting variety)
- Floricane is the same shoot after overwintering. This shoot will flower and fruit in the second year
- Rednecked Cane Borer is an insect that bores into the can and cause an enlarged growth
- 4-6 canes per hill or 6 canes per foot of row
- Laterals pruned to 12 -16 inches
- Remove prunings from the orchard
- Floricanes should be removed in the Fall if possible